Once you have submitted your application for admissions to UL Lafayette you should apply for your VA Education Benefits (GI Bill). If you are applying for other types of military benefits visit our benefits page for more information.
- New Students
- New applicants should first determine which VA Benefit to apply for. If you find that you are eligible for more than one benefit use the GI Bill Benefit Comparison Tools to help you make a decision. To apply, complete the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP).
- If you are a spouse or dependent applying for the Post-9/11 GI Bill the service member must first request a transfer of benefits before you submit the VONAPP.
- Transfer Students
- If you received VA benefits at another school you will need to submit a change on the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP). Complete a request for Change of Program or Place of Training to update your school to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
To make the application process easier, you should have these documents in hand:
- Your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD form 214) for all periods of active duty service
- Your Notice of Basic Eligibility (DD Form 2384) if applying for the Montgomery GI Bill for Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606)
- Copies of orders if activated from the guard/reserves
- Supporting documents (e.g., vouchers, statements) for buy-up or buy-in contributions.
- College fund “kicker” contracts for additional monthly payments that you may receive from the Department of Defense through your branch of the Service.
The VA Regional Office in Muskogee, Okla., will process your application and notify you by mail.
Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing. Unfortunately, our office does not have access to VA records. For questions about your status contact the VA Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551.